This is a legacy article; its contents no longer apply to the current iteration of the Frencoverse.
"I've spoken to a group of Frenkish Vanguards before - this particular bunch, vets from the Ten Years' War, fought on Taiwan, Alaska and Japan against the armies of the UDAP, walked and slept through every hell a soldier can imagine. But even they shat themselves when I talked about the Spetsnaz. That's because they know that some sorry bastards are in for it big time when there are GRU operators in the field."
~ unnamed military analyst.
The Special Purpose Guard Brigade, commonly shortened to Spetsnaz, are the elite military formations of the Mecharussian Armed Forces. Commanded by General Elena Trotskaya and attached to the Eighth VDV Regiment (though in practice operating across all four branches of the MAF), they are widely regarded as being the finest fighting unit that the Solar System has to offer, perhaps surpassed only by the Final/Original Thirteen - also trained and commanded by Trotskaya. They are also notable for their brutal training regimen, the work of their commanding officer. As their name suggests, they consist of as many as 5,000 troops at any given time, consisting of five battalions.
In combat, they make extensive use of directed-energy weaponry, particularly plasma weapons such as the AVP repeating blaster and PP-1 Kryuk pistol, and other highly-advanced equipment, particularly optical camouflage.
Spetsnaz operating units are divided into different groups, each with their own purpose, independent function and chain of command.
- Alfa Group is designed primarily for commando operations and frontline combat tactics. It is commanded by Colonel Victor Golovkin and, after his disappearance, Erina Dmitriyeva.
- Vympel Group is Trotskaya's personal squadron, consisting of the Final Thirteen plus Alexei Trotsky and Dima Ratnik. When both of them die in the Altcanon, their positions are eventually taken up by the Novaya Chthonians Tiresiy and Polifem.
- Lednik Group is the official designation given to the three-ghoul hit squad consisting of Vyacheslav Drago, Boris Ivankov and Ahmet Kartal.
- Sera Group, formed in 2156 AC, is tailored specifically to hunt down and kill Imperial Judicators. In order to achieve this end, its members, all Novaya Chthonians bar one, possess extremely-advanced weapon systems, such as the tesseract labyrinths used to capture Judicators for interrogation. It is commanded by the Fobosian hypersoldier Belov and its members are trained by the Original Chthonian Atalanta.
- The name 'Special Purpose Guard Brigade' is directly borrowed from the Spetsnaz Guard Brigade from Tom Clancy's EndWar novel and video game.